Traditionally, every Gathering conference includes a Gift Exchange in which attendees swap puzzles, magic tricks, artwork, papers, novelty items, books, etc. As in past years, attendees must submit a physical item for the Exchange Bag or submit a paper for the Exchange Book in order to participate.
If you’re looking for inspiration, think of the exchange as something you would be excited to share with Martin Gardner himself. We recommend something original or unique, something made by hand, or something other attendees would enjoy or value.
Gift Exchange Requirements
- *NEW* What is the deadline for submitting in order to participate?
For G4G13, the deadline is March 1st, 2018 for attendees to submit an exchange paper or a physical gift to the online registration system in order to participate in the Gift Exchange (see your invitation email for a link to the registration website).
- For exchange papers, this does NOT mean your contribution has to be final, but you must at least submit a draft or abstract by the deadline. For exchange gifts, you must submit a description or image of the item you plan to bring by the deadline.
- How many physical copies should I bring for the Exchange Bag?
If you are contributing a physical item, we ask that you plan to provide around 300 copies for the Exchange Bag. We will let all participants know the exact number of gifts to bring a few weeks before the conference begins.
- What happens to any extra exchange gifts?
All gifts submitted for the exchange become the property of the G4G Foundation. This year we are implementing participation deadlines in order to provide you with an accurate number of exchange gifts to bring. However, if there are a few extra Exchange Bags, we will put them to good use as promotional items. We ask that attendees please not bring more copies of their gift than the quantity we request, as we won’t be able to ship extras back to you.
- When and where can I ship my exchange items?
Shipping should be arranged to arrive at the Ritz hotel no earlier than Monday, April 2nd, 2018 and no later than Wednesday, April 11th. Please ship your items to:
- The Ritz-Carlton Hotel
c/o G4G13 Gift Exchange – Participant Name
181 Peachtree Street NE
Atlanta, Georgia 30303, USA
- The Ritz-Carlton Hotel
- For international attendees this window for receiving items may be difficult, if you need to arrange for items to be received before April 2nd, contact email@example.com and we can make special accommodations.
- IMPORTANT: Be sure to track and insure your package when shipping. G4G is not responsible for gift exchange items that get lost in the mail.
- If you wish to avoid shipping, you are welcome to bring your gift exchange items with you to the conference. Please bring them with you to registration so your items can be properly documented.
- How should I name my exchange file?
When uploading all files to the online registration system, PLEASE use the file-naming convention:
Follow these examples:
- Where can I see examples of past Gift Exchange items?
You can view papers submitted for G4G11 and G4G12 on our website here:
- Here are a few samples of items from the Gift Exchange Bags of recent years:
- Other questions?
If you have additional questions about participating in the G4G13 Gift Exchange, please email them to: firstname.lastname@example.org