15th Gathering 4 Gardner Conference (2024)
From April 24 – 28, 2024 in Atlanta, Georgia, G4G participants will assemble, in Martin Gardner’s name, to celebrate recreational mathematics, magic, puzzles, skepticism, science, art, literature, and the intersections of these subjects. Participants will offer presentations, performances, original papers, and exhibits. Countless exchanges of ideas and examples of magic will inspire and delight. Unlike many other conferences, G4G is participatory in nature; all attendees are encouraged to contribute, whether that be a 5-minute presentation, an original paper, a unique exhibit, or a novelty item for the gift exchange.
- Featured Presenters
- What, When, Where – info about the conference
- 4 Days of Presentations – held in the Ritz-Carlton ballroom
- Offsite Activities – sculpture-building social event
- Evening Entertainment – featuring magic and illusion
- Gift Exchange – participants exchange Gardner-inspired gifts
- Sales & Exhibit Rooms – sign up to share your passion
- Nominate Attendees
- G4G15 Logo
G4G will announce Featured Presenters for the 2024 Gathering conference. Bookmark this page and check back for updates.
Each presenter will give two talks: one private talk as part of the regular programing of the conference for G4G attendees exclusively and one free talk open to the general public (no tickets needed).
G4G15 What, When, Where
- WHAT: The 15th Gathering 4 Gardner Conference
- WHEN: April 24 – 28, 2024
- WHERE: The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Who usually attends? Our participants include professional and amateur mathematicians, magicians and performers, artists, educators, scientists, and anyone who is inspired by the same interdisciplinary curiosity that excited our namesake, Martin Gardner. Attendance for G4G15 is capped at 400 individuals.
- How much does the conference cost? Registration is $TBD with add-ons available for dinners, performances, and the traditional offsite social and sculpture-building event. The registration fee covers four days of presentations in the Ritz-Carlton’s grand ballroom but does not cover food or lodging.
- What was the previous event like? View some of the papers and presentations from past events:
- How can I attend? G4G15 is an invitation-only conference; however, you can nominate yourself or others for attendance. If you are interested, please fill out the nomination form and be sure to mention the nominee’s background, passion for Martin Gardner’s legacy, and/or desire to engage with the community. We will be reviewing nominations periodically and will let you know if your nomination is accepted.
- When does registration open? Registration for G4G15 is not yet open. Bookmark this page and check back for updates.
- Other questions? For all other questions about G4G15, please contact email@example.com or visit the complete Frequently Asked Questions.
Four Days of Presentations
G4G offers opportunities for participants to share their passions and discoveries. The core of the conference consists of 4 days of brief presentations (generally 5 to 6 minutes).
PLEASE NOTE: There are no presentations on the afternoon of the offsite event. All G4G15 attendees may participate in the offsite event with a purchased ticket.
The Offsite Activities will be held at Georgia Tech. More details are to be announced.
On Saturday, we are pitching tents in the street, serving lunch, building mathematical sculptures organized by George Hart, and creating opportunities for participants to socialize and explore this vibrant community.
Description of Activities
A Mathematical Walk Around Campus
Join Ron Lancaster for a walk to experience viewing the world through a mathematical lens while getting some exercise. This offsite event will be an opportunity to work with others to answer questions and solve puzzles related to daily life, design, art, architecture, science and recreational mathematics.
Ron is an Associate Professor (Teaching Stream) at the University of Toronto where he teaches mathematics courses for pre-service middle and high school teachers. He has over 20 years of experience teaching grades 7 through 12 mathematics. Ron’s professional activities include consultations and conference presentations in North America, Asia, England, the Middle East, Africa, India and Europe. Ron is an author for the NCTM (The Mathematical Lens) and member of the Advisory Board for the Museum of Mathematics in New York City. He is the recipient of the 2015 Margaret Sinclair Memorial Award Recognizing Innovation and Excellence in Mathematics Education awarded by the Fields Institute.
More offsite activities to be announced.
Thursday and Friday evenings at the conference are times to further connect. A buffet dinner will be served followed by entertainment featuring eclectic performances. Past shows have included close-up and stage magic and variety-style acts from juggling to feats of strength and mental math. This is also a wonderful opportunity to meet the other attendees.
Traditionally, every Gathering conference includes a Gift Exchange in which attendees swap puzzles, magic tricks, artwork, papers, novelty items, books, etc. Participants in the exchange must submit an item for the physical Exchange Bag or a document for the Exchange Book. If you’re looking for inspiration, think of the exchange as something you would be excited to share with Martin Gardner himself. We recommend something original or unique, something made by hand, or something other attendees would enjoy or value.
Everyone who participates in the Exchange will receive:
- G4G15 Exchange Bag
- G4G15 Exchange Book
Sales Room & Exhibit Room
At G4G15, attendees will have the option of setting up a table in the Sales Room and/or the Exhibit Room.
Sales Room: If you are a vendor and wish to sell items to other G4G attendees (examples: books, sculptures, puzzles, mathy toys, etc.) consider reserving a Sales Table. Only attendees registered for a Sales Table will be permitted to sell their inventory at the conference.
Exhibit Room: If you have something special to share with the G4G community that is either too large or complex to be reproduced for the gift exchange, consider reserving an Exhibit Table. Past exhibit examples include: surprising 3D-printed objects, unusual musical instruments, kinetic sculptures, historical collections, and special edition books, toys, and games.
For both the Sales and Exhibit Room, space is limited and tables are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
You are welcome to nominate new attendees (including yourself) for invitation to G4G15. Please let us know how your nominee will enrich the G4G community. Fill out the form once for each person being nominated.