Save the Date!
The G4G Fall 2022 Benefit Auction is taking place the week of October 23-30, 2022. This is the perfect time to get gifts for the holidays. Special unique items include autographed books by Martin Gardner and John Conway, notebooks with drawings featured in Vi Hart’s videos, mechanical puzzles, Escher-inspired checkerboard, original artwork, The Art of Computer Programming, Volume 4B: Combinatorial Algorithms, Part 2 (scheduled for publication this fall) personally autographed by Donald Knuth, G4G Gift Exchange books, lessons in magic and more. Proceeds fund G4G scholarships, Celebration of Mind, and other G4G outreach initiatives.
Magic & Performances
Zoom Auction Preview
- Hosted By: Bob Hearn
Date: Saturday, October 15, 1:30 pm ET / 10:30 am PT
What: The Zoom Auction Preview features a few special G4G-style presentations, provides details on how the auction will work, and showcases a selection of auction items. Check out this sneak peek at the wide-ranging list of exciting and exclusive items!
Featured Auction Items
Here are details for a few items to be auctioned:
Escher-inspired Game Board
A handcrafted double-sided Escher-inspired checkerboard and checkers
The Art of Computer Programming
The Art of Computer Programming, Volume 4B: Combinatorial Algorithms, Part 2 (scheduled for publication this fall) personally autographed by Donald Knuth. It’s filled with recreational material about topics such as arrangements of queens; word rectangles; sudoku; pentominoes; soma; macmahon tiles; edge-matching puzzles; motley dissections; kenken; slitherlink; masyu; kakuro; hitori; game of Life; etc., etc. Martin Gardner is cited more than 20 times.
Geometric Wood Pendant Lights
From Florence, Italy. This light fixture can be used as a pendant or table lamp.
Online Auction Fundraiser
- When: Sunday, October 23 through Sunday, October 30, 2022
- Timing: Auction items will open for bidding between 10am and 11am PT and each individual auction item will close at the same time one week later. Individual auction items’ opening/closing times will be intentionally staggered to allow participants to easily bid on multiple items.
- Where: eBay for Charity and Partner Sites (see details below).
- A wide variety of items have been donated that we expect will spark the imaginations of the G4G community and like-minded friends. These items will be posted for auction via eBay for Charity where 100% of proceeds will go to support the G4G Foundation.
- At the same time, a few e-commerce websites have partnered with G4G to donate 15% of gross sales from this week.
- What kinds of items will be in the auction?
- Puzzles & Games, Artwork & Jewelry, Mentoring & Tutoring, Performances, Books & Magazines, Services, and Tours
- Can I donate an item/service to be auctioned?
- Not for this auction. But let us know if you want to donate something for a future auction.
- How does shipping work?
- For many eBay auction items, winning bidders will be responsible for covering shipping costs, which will be paid as part of the eBay purchase. Winning bidders may also be invoiced separately via PayPal after the auction closes for additional shipping insurance coverage.
- For Partner Sites, please contact the site owner for shipping details.
- Is my purchase tax deductible?
- If you donate an item to the G4G auction, usually the fair market value of your item(s) is tax deductible. We advise you to consult a tax advisor.
- If you bid on an item on G4G’s eBay for Charity site, only the portion of the bid ABOVE the fair market value is tax deductible.
- If you purchase an item on one of our Partner Sites below, your purchase is NOT tax deductible. However, 15% of your purchase will be donated to the G4G Foundation.
- G4G will provide official tax deduction letters to all eBay auction participants (donors & bidders) after the auction concludes.
- Consult your tax advisor for your specific circumstances.
Who Can Participate
The Online Auction Fundraiser is open to everyone! G4G past attendees, potential future attendees, and the general public – all are welcome to join in the fun! Please share with your friends, family, coworkers, and neighbors. The more bids the better!
How to Participate
1. eBay for Charity
The G4G Auction is primarily held on eBay for Charity where 100% of auction proceeds will be donated to the G4G Foundation. The eBay auction features a wide variety of physical items (games, puzzles, art, jewelry, books, and more!) as well as services and virtual experiences (mentoring, magical performances, and tours). Functioning in the same way as the original eBay marketplace, eBay for Charity allows us to efficiently sell a wide range of donated items through their platform.
Auction Link Will Be Posted Here On October 23rd
PLEASE NOTE: G4G does not offer appraisal services; auction item values are estimates provided by the item donor. These values have not been independently verified by G4G.
2. Partner Sites
In tandem with the eBay auction, G4G has partnered with a few e-commerce websites who have graciously agreed to offer a donation of 15% of gross sales from Sunday, October 23 through Sunday, October 30 (the same days as our auction) to the G4G Foundation.
Kadon Enterprises – Gamepuzzles®
Kadon Enterprises sells combinatorial puzzles inspired by Martin Gardner’s writings on pentominoes and other recreational geometry. This online gallery of enchanting playthings in laser-cut acrylic and handcrafted wood has over 250 games and puzzles for minds of all ages. As their website says: so beautiful, they’re art.
“I have been designing, researching, developing, and producing these unique tessellations since 1979 (this is my 43rd year!), and many of the G4G community know of my work and may even have collected them through the years. I have some exciting new sets to show this year, and the auction offer applies to all of our sales in the last week of October 2022.” – Kate Jones, President
SB Crafts – Mathematical Clocks & Apparel
SB Crafts designs and sells;
- Clocks that illustrate many different branches of mathematics written about by Martin Gardner. One of the clocks is itself a JRMF® puzzle (meta-puzzle: find that clock on the website).
- A unique binary pi t-shirt
- A brand-new onesie that uses math to promote nursing
- Cross-stitch kits
Two Brass Monkeys – Precision Engineered Brass Puzzles
The two monkeys, Ali Morris and Steve Nicholls, are long time puzzle collectors and fans of Martin Gardner’s work. Their puzzle range includes trick opening puzzles, interlocking burrs, and some pure geometric fun! A mixture of their own designs and a few by designers who will be well known to the G4G community.
3. Direct Donations
If you prefer to give a monetary donation directly to G4G, you can always do so on the donation page on our website.