The 14th Biennial Gathering 4 Gardner Conference (2020)
From Wednesday, March 25th through Sunday, March 29th, 2020 in Atlanta, Georgia, G4G participants will assemble, in Martin Gardner’s name, to celebrate recreational mathematics, magic, puzzles, skepticism, science, art, literature, and the intersections of these subjects. Participants will offer presentations, performances, original papers, and exhibits. Countless exchanges of ideas and examples of magic will inspire and delight. Unlike many other conferences, G4G is participatory in nature; all attendees are encouraged to contribute, whether that be a 5-minute presentation, an original paper, a unique exhibit, or a novelty item for the gift exchange.
G4G14 Information (click for details)
- Registration for G4G14 is now OPEN!
- 4 Days of Presentations in the Ritz-Carlton grand ballroom
- Offsite Activities & sculpture-building event
- Evening Entertainment featuring magic and illusion
- Gift Exchange, participants exchange Gardner-inspired gifts
- Sales & Exhibit Rooms, sign up to share your passion
- Nominate Attendees for G4G14 invitation
Registration for G4G14 is now OPEN!
Invitation emails were sent to past attendees. If you have attended a past Gathering and did not receive an invitation, please check your Spam folder and email firstname.lastname@example.org if you did not receive the invite.
For information about nominating yourself or others for attendance CLICK HERE.
Watch the Video
G4G14 What, When, Where
- WHAT: The 14th Gathering 4 Gardner Conference
- WHEN: Wednesday, March 25th through Sunday, March 29th, 2020
- WHERE: The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Who usually attends? Our participants include professional and amateur mathematicians, magicians and performers, artists, educators, scientists, and anyone who is inspired by the same interdisciplinary curiosity that excited our namesake, Martin Gardner. Due to high demand at the previous event, the cap for G4G14 has been raised to 400 attendees.
- How much does the conference cost? Early registration is $380 with add-ons available for dinners, performances, and the traditional offsite social and sculpture-building event. The registration fee covers four days of presentations in the Ritz-Carlton’s grand ballroom but does not cover food or lodging.
- What was the previous event like? View some of the papers and presentations from past events:
- How can I attend? G4G14 is an invitation-only conference; however, you can nominate yourself or others for attendance. If you are interested, please fill out the nomination form and be sure to mention the nominee’s background, passion for Martin Gardner’s legacy, and/or desire to engage with the community. We will be reviewing nominations periodically and will let you know if your nomination is accepted.
- When does registration open? Registration for G4G14 is now OPEN!
- Other questions? For all other questions about G4G14, please contact email@example.com or visit the complete G4G14 Frequently Asked Questions webpage below:
Four Days of Presentations
G4G offers opportunities for participants to share their passions and discoveries. The core of the conference consists of 4 days of brief presentations (generally 5 to 6 minutes). Check back on this web page for announcements of featured G4G14 presenters. Featured Presenters at the previous Gathering (G4G13) were Ernő Rubik, Doris Schattschneider, and Manjul Bhargava. G4G14 Featured Presenters to be determined.
PLEASE NOTE: There are no presentations on the afternoon of Saturday, March 28th. The offsite Special Event will be taking place at that time. All G4G14 attendees may participate in the offsite event with a purchased ticket.
Due to the success of the offsite event at the previous Gathering (G4G13), we have decided to again hold the event in Decatur, Georgia.
Sarah Garvin Rodgers invites the G4G community to her home and art gallery, Different Trains, in the artistic Old Depot District of Decatur. On Saturday the 28th, we’re pitching tents in the street, serving lunch, building mathematical sculptures organized by George Hart, and creating opportunities for participants to socialize and explore this vibrant community. As the sun sets, attendees will enjoy a Happy Hour reception inside Color Wheel Art Studio.
PLEASE NOTE: The offsite for G4G14 will be held on SATURDAY March 28th, 2020.
Thursday and Friday evenings at the conference are times to further connect. A buffet dinner will be served followed by entertainment featuring eclectic performances. Past shows have included close-up and stage magic and variety-style acts from juggling to feats of strength and mental math. This is also a wonderful opportunity to meet the other attendees.
Traditionally, every Gathering conference includes a Gift Exchange in which attendees swap puzzles, magic tricks, artwork, papers, novelty items, books, etc. Participants in the exchange must submit an item for the physical Exchange Bag or a document for the Exchange Book. If you’re looking for inspiration, think of the exchange as something you would be excited to share with Martin Gardner himself. We recommend something original or unique, something made by hand, or something other attendees would enjoy or value. Everyone who participates in the Exchange will receive:
- G4G14 Exchange Bag
- G4G14 Exchange Book
Sales Room & Exhibit Room
At G4G14, attendees will have the option of setting up a table in the Sales Room and/or the Exhibit Room.
Sales Room: If you are a vendor and wish to sell items to other G4G attendees (examples: books, sculptures, puzzles, mathy toys, etc.) consider reserving a Sales Table. Only attendees registered for a Sales Table will be permitted to sell their inventory at the conference.
Exhibit Room: If you have something special to share with the G4G community that is either too large or complex to be reproduced for the gift exchange, consider reserving an Exhibit Table. Past exhibit examples include: surprising 3D-printed objects, unusual musical instruments, kinetic sculptures, historical collections, and special edition books, toys, and games.
For both the Sales and Exhibit Room, space is limited and tables are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Sales and Exhibit Room participants are required to staff their table during Happy Hour on Thursday evening (from the end of the final talk of the day until the start of dinner).
You are welcome to nominate new attendees (including yourself) for invitation to G4G14. Please let us know how your nominee will enrich the G4G community. Fill out the form once for each person being nominated.