The 14th Biennial Gathering 4 Gardner Conference (2020)
From Wednesday, March 25th through Sunday, March 29th, 2020 in Atlanta, Georgia, G4G participants will assemble, in Martin Gardner’s name, to celebrate recreational mathematics, magic, puzzles, skepticism, science, art, literature, and the intersections of these subjects. Participants will offer presentations, performances, original papers, and exhibits. Countless exchanges of ideas and examples of magic will inspire and delight. Unlike many other conferences, G4G is participatory in nature; all attendees are encouraged to contribute, whether that be a 5-minute presentation, an original paper, a unique exhibit, or a novelty item for the gift exchange.
G4G14 Information (click for details)
- Registration for G4G14 will open in fall of 2019
- Sponsorships help to keep the cost of attendance reasonable
- 3 Days of Presentations in the Ritz-Carlton grand ballroom
- Off-site Activities & sculpture-building event
- Evening Entertainment featuring magic and illusion
- Gift Exchange, participants exchange Gardner-inspired gifts
- Exhibition & Sales Rooms, sign up to share your passion
- Nominate Attendees for G4G14 invitation
Registration for G4G14 will open in fall of 2019.
Please bookmark this webpage and check back periodically for updates.
Watch the Video
G4G14 What, When, Where
- WHAT: The 14th Gathering 4 Gardner Conference
- WHEN: Wednesday, March 25th through Sunday, March 29th, 2020
- WHERE: The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Who usually attends? Our participants include professional and amateur mathematicians, magicians and performers, artists, educators, scientists, and anyone who is inspired by the same interdisciplinary curiosity that excited our namesake, Martin Gardner. Due to high demand at the previous event, the cap for G4G14 has been raised to 400 attendees.
- How much does the conference cost? Registration costs for G4G14 have yet to be established. For G4G13, early registration was $375 with add-ons available for dinners, performances, and the traditional off-site social and sculpture-building event. The registration fee covers three days of presentations in the Ritz-Carlton’s grand ballroom but does not cover food or lodging.
- What was the previous event like? View some of the papers and presentations from past events:
- How can I attend? G4G14 is an invitation-only conference; however, you can nominate yourself or others for attendance. If you are interested, please fill out the nomination form and be sure to mention the nominee’s background, passion for Martin Gardner’s legacy, and/or desire to engage with the community. We will be reviewing nominations periodically and will let you know if your nomination is accepted.
- When does registration open? Registration for G4G14 will open in fall of 2019. Please bookmark this webpage and check back periodically for updates.
- Other questions? For all other questions about G4G14, please contact email@example.com or visit the complete G4G14 Frequently Asked Questions webpage here:
We invite you to be a sponsor of G4G14, which is now less than a year away! In order to keep the cost of attending G4G14 reasonable (lower than the actual cost), we are soliciting underwriting for the upcoming Gathering.
Underwriting donations will be used to defray the cost of the following:
- Gathering (the conference itself) $10K – $100K
- Offsite (open to the general public) $5K – $35K
- Featured Presenters $10K – $20K
- Youth Initiative $5 – 15K
- Scholarships (for those needing financial aid) $1K – $100K
- Entertainment $20K – $40K
- Videotaping Presentations $10K – $40K
- Publishing Exchange Book (in print & online) $10K – $20K
- Website Maintenance (featuring the G4G Exchange Books and presentation videos) $5K – $15K
- Social Media (to build public awareness) $5K
- Conference Meals $10K/meal – $30K/meal
- Coffee Breaks $5K (coffee at the Ritz is not cheap!)
Please consider supporting G4G14.
For donations over $5K, please send checks to:
Gathering 4 Gardner Foundation
2885 Sanford Ave SW #39552
Grandville, MI 49418
For donations under $5K:
Three Days of Presentations
G4G offers opportunities for participants to share their passions and discoveries. The core of the conference consists of 3 days of brief presentations (generally 5 to 6 minutes). Check back on this web page for announcements of featured G4G14 presenters. Featured Presenters at the previous Gathering (G4G13) were Ernő Rubik, Doris Schattschneider, and Manjul Bhargava. G4G14 Featured Presenters to be determined.
Thursday and Friday evenings at the conference are times to further connect. A buffet dinner will be served followed by entertainment featuring eclectic performances. Past shows have included close-up and stage magic and variety-style acts from juggling to feats of strength and mental math. This is also a wonderful opportunity to meet the other attendees.
Traditionally, every Gathering conference includes a Gift Exchange in which attendees swap puzzles, magic tricks, artwork, papers, novelty items, books, etc. Participants in the exchange must submit an item for the physical Exchange Bag or a document for the Exchange Book. If you’re looking for inspiration, think of the exchange as something you would be excited to share with Martin Gardner himself. We recommend something original or unique, something made by hand, or something other attendees would enjoy or value. Everyone who participates in the Exchange will receive:
- G4G14 Exchange Bag
- G4G14 Exchange Book
Exhibition & Sales Rooms
At G4G14, attendees will have the option of setting up a table in the Sales Room and/or the Exhibition Room.
Sales Room: If you are a vendor and wish to sell items to other G4G attendees (examples: books, sculptures, puzzles, mathy toys, etc.) consider reserving a Vendor Table. Only attendees registered as vendors will be permitted to sell their inventory at the conference.
Exhibition Room: If you have something special to share with the G4G community that is either too large or complex to be reproduced for the gift exchange, consider reserving an Exhibitor Table. Past exhibit examples include: surprising 3D-printed objects, unusual musical instruments, kinetic sculptures, historical collections, and special edition books, toys, and games. Exhibition Room tables are free but limited. Reserve a table before the conference to be assured of a spot, or sign up for any remaining tables when you arrive.
You are welcome to nominate new attendees (including yourself) for invitation to G4G14. Please let us know how your nominee will enrich the G4G community. Fill out the form once for each person being nominated.